Governor Larry Hogan: Regarding Potential COVID-19 Exposure Risk at Conservative Political Action Conference
ANNAPOLIS, MD—Earlier today, the New Jersey Department of Health notified the Maryland Department of Health (MDH) that a person confirmed to have Coronavirus Disease 2019, or COVID-19, was in Maryland from February 27-March 1 attending the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) in National Harbor. Those who attended or worked at the conference may be at some risk for acquiring COVID-19.
MDH immediately notified the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and the governor’s office notified officials at the White House and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
“Immediately after learning of this individual’s interactions in our state, we began coordinating with the White House, the CDC and federal officials, the New Jersey Department of Health, Prince George’s County officials, and conference organizers,” said Governor Hogan. “Due to the scale of this conference, we are urging attendees who are experiencing flu-like symptoms to immediately reach out to their health care provider. We are providing this update not to unnecessarily raise alarm, but in the interest of full transparency and out of an abundance of caution.”
MDH recommends that members of the public who attended this event monitor themselves for symptoms of a respiratory infection including fever, cold-like symptoms, cough, difficulty breathing or shortness of breath.
Persons who attended this event should check their temperature twice a day and notify their health care provider and local health department if their temperature exceeds 100.4 or if they develop a respiratory illness. They should remain at home until they receive instructions about next steps from their health care provider or local health department.
Maryland residents who have questions about this information are encouraged to contact 2-1-1 to talk to a helpline representative.
“Our ships are small floating cities. Just as life happens in cities for good and for bad–the same happens onboard our ships.” Our President, Jan Swartz shares how COVID-19 has affected guests on our ships and fellow team members, but also people around the world.#princesscruises pic.twitter.com/jNr5GaA4iw— Princess Cruises (@PrincessCruises) March 6, 2020
Coast Guard air crews are no strangers to Grand Princess
An MH-65 Dolphin helicopter crew from Coast Guard Sector North Bend medevaced a 76-year-old woman from the cruise ship, Grand Princess, and safely transported her to the Bay Area Hospital at 12:50 p.m., on Aug. 13, 2018. The woman was reportedly suffering from kidney failure while aboard the vessel approximately 50 miles southwest of Coos Bay, Ore. U.S. Coast Guard video.
CENTER FOR DISEASE CONTROL:
Update: her family says she received her medications
Hello @PrincessCruises please help your guest on the Grand Princess with her life-saving medication. The family says that the #cruise ship is not responding . . . https://t.co/V6htnSUy8R pic.twitter.com/lqczUiZVlx— James (Jim) Walker (@CruiseLaw) March 7, 2020
Updated March 7, 2020, 12:15 PM PT
Grand Princess Update
Princess Cruises can confirm personal protective equipment (PPE), which included gloves and face masks, which was delivered to Grand Princess by U.S. Coast Guard helicopter yesterday evening (March 6). The PPE will supplement the supply already onboard.
Separately, a critically ill U.S. guest and their travel companion were medically disembarked from Grand Princess earlier this morning by a U.S. Coast Guard cutter. They are being transported to a shoreside medical facility for treatment unrelated to COVID-19.
Grand Princess is at sea currently approximately 50 miles off the coast of San Francisco. The Captain of Grand Princess and the Princess Cruises port operations team continue to await specific directives from state and local response operations about where the ship will proceed and will continue to closely follow the guidance of the U.S. Centers of Disease Control (CDC), California Department of Public Health and other authorities.
The safety, health and well-being of our guests and crew is always our top priority, and we continue to make every effort to ensure they are safe and comfortable while they remain onboard.
Updated March 6, 2020 5:00PM PT
Grand Princess Update
Princess Cruises can confirm that the results from the first phase of health screenings of 45 guests and crew onboard Grand Princess were completed. We were notified by Vice President Pence while he was conducting a press conference and simultaneously by the U.S. Centers of Disease Control (CDC) speaking to our shipboard doctor that among the samples tested, 21 people have tested positive for COVID-19 which includes two (2) guests and 19 crew.
The ship’s doctor is in the process of informing the guests and crew of their individual results. All guests and affected crew will remain isolated in their rooms.
We are awaiting official specific plans for future positioning of the ship from relevant authorities. Princess Cruises will continue to closely follow the guidance of the CDC and other federal and state government authorities.
Guests will continue to be provided complimentary internet and telephone to stay in contact with their families and loved ones, and the ship’s company is working to keep all guests comfortable.
The ship has quickly transitioned food & beverage service to provide Room Service for all staterooms.
We are working with CDC to determine what additional precautionary measures, if any, will be required.
Princess Cruises medical team is collecting information from guests regarding any medication prescription refills needs.
Princess Cruises can confirm there are 3,533 people currently onboard Grand Princess, including 2,422 guests and 1,111 teammates. In total, they represent 54 nationalities.
We can confirm that the results from the first phase of health screenings of 45 guests and crew onboard #GrandPrincess were completed. We were notified by Vice President Pence while he was conducting a press conference....— Princess Cruises (@PrincessCruises) March 7, 2020
Coast Guard Air Station San Francisco crew members load personal protective equipment into an MH-65 Dolphin helicopter Mar. 6, 2020. The Coast Guard continues to support the CDC, state and local health officials for matters involving the Grand Princess. (U.S. Coast photo by Air Station San Francisco) Photo by Petty Officer 3rd Class Taylor Bacon
California Air National Guard 129th Rescue Wing. Covid-19 Test Kits to The Grand Princess, March 5, 2020.
SANTA CLARITA, Calif., (March 5, 2020) – Princess Cruises is temporarily modifying its cancellation policy for cruises and cruise tours departing through May 31, 2020. The cruise line is implementing this revised policy to assist guests making decisions regarding their upcoming cruise vacations during the evolving worldwide COVID-19 situation.
The details vary by departure date.
Date of Departure* & Policy Update:
– Apr 3 or earlier: Cancel up to 72hrs before sailing to receive Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for 100% of cancellation fees
– Apr 4 – May 31: Cancel by Mar 31, 2020, and receive FCC for 100% of cancellation fees
– Jun 1 – June 30: Final Payment moves to 60 days prior to sailing (from 90 days)
* Date of departure is from the start date of your cruise or cruisetour, whichever is earlier. Excludes Chartered Cruises
Guests that choose to keep their booking as currently scheduled for departures between March 6 and May 31 will receive the following Onboard Credit amounts (USD):
- $100 per cabin for 3-day and 4-day cruises
- $150 per cabin for 5-day cruises
- $200 per cabin for 6 day and longer cruises
Future Cruise Credits will automatically be applied to each guest’s Captain Circle account after they have canceled. Future Cruise Credits will not be available instantly and may take up to 10 business days to be processed.
Full details can be found at https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/temporary-cancellation-policy.html
From Princess Cruises:
Captain Arma was last to leave #DiamondPrincess. He is a hero in our eyes. We thank him & our exceptional onboard team. We offer our sincere gratitude to all the agencies in Japan & around the world who worked with us to support our guests & crew through this extraordinary time.
Photo by Petty Officer 2nd Class Edward Wargo
Coast Guard Sector North Carolina Enforcement Division, Coast Guard Station Hatteras Inlet and North Carolina Department of Transportation Ferry Division personnel conducted maritime active shooter training exercises to improve active shooter response protocols and interagency coordination. Coast Guard trainers also conducted post-incident medical response training with NCDOT personnel focused on triage and emergency life-saving procedures. (U.S. Coast Guard photo)
Coast Guard Sector North Carolina Enforcement Division, Coast Guard Station Hatteras Inlet and North Carolina Department of Transportation Ferry Division personnel conducted maritime active shooter training exercises to improve active shooter response protocols and interagency coordination.