PRISONER DEAD IN CALVERT: Calvert Sheriff Mike Evans punted investigation to Maryland State Police while absolving deputies from fault; edited press release, saying he was pleased about “handcuffs”

UPDATE: The Maryland State Police Media Affairs Spokesman Gregory Shipley has confirmed to THE CHESAPEAKE TODAY that the State Police Homicide Unit is conducting an investigation into the death of Antoine Brooks, at the request of the Calvert County sheriff

HUNTINGTOWN, MD. – A man with a history of drug use was captured as he vandalized property in a stage of disrobing in Huntingtown, Md, on June 26, 2021, about 1:00 pm, and after he was handcuffed to wait for a transport van to go to the Calvert County Jail, admitted to deputies to consuming drugs.

As he continued to devolve in his medical condition, Calvert Sheriff Mike Evans reports that the responding emergency medical technicians administered Narcan, used an AED and performed CPR – all to no avail – as the man was rushed to Calvert Hospital where he died.

Sheriff Evans reported that no taser was used to subdue the man during the arrest.

The Maryland State Police is now conducting the investigation of the Patrol deputies from the Calvert County Sheriff’s Department who responded to a report of the suspicious person breaking windows in the 2100 block of Lowery Road.

When Calvert Deputies arrived and located the suspect, identified as Antoine Dominique Brooks, 31, (DOB 04/18/1989) Huntingtown, Md, they placed him under arrest.

The body of Brooks was transported to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Baltimore for an autopsy.

At this time, the cause and manner of death are listed as pending, said Sheriff Evans in a written report. Toxicology results are also pending, along with the results of additional testing of vital organs.

At the request of the Sheriff and the Calvert County State’s Attorney, the investigation is being conducted by the Maryland State Police Homicide Unit.  State Police investigators are continuing to review body camera footage and conducting interviews with witnesses.  State Police crime scene technicians responded to process the scene. Apparently, the Maryland State Police Media representatives have been sidelined in their own investigation as Sheriff Evans continues to be the lead in the investigation he asked the State Police to take over from his department.

Evans, in his press release said, “upon completion, the investigation by the Maryland State Police Homicide Unit will be forwarded to the Calvert County State’s Attorney’s Office for review.”

In spite of the Maryland State Police taking the control of the investigation, Sheriff Evans reports that arrangements have been made to review the body camera footage with the Brook’s family on June 28, 2021.  Evans says that the release of the video is being withheld from the public.

A few minutes after the Calvert Sheriff’s Department issued a press release absolving the Calvert Deputies of any responsibility for the overdose death of Brooks and reveals that no video will be released until after the family sees the video on June 28, 2021, Sheriff Mike Evans sent out another press release which simply stated: “I like the handcuffs added.” From his iPhone.

Brooks was arrested in St. Mary’s County by St. Mary’s Deputy S. Lefave on a statement of charges issued by the St. Mary’s States Attorney’s Office on June 7, 2021, charging him with three counts of possession of drugs.   Charges of nine counts of credit card theft were placed against Brooks on December 14, 2020. A trial for those charges was set for July 1, 2021, in District Court for St. Mary’s County.

Brooks faced more drug charges in Calvert County on July 14, 2021, in District Court.  Calvert Sheriff’s Department Deputy Flynt arrested Brooks on May 13, 2020, for multiple counts of possession of drugs on May 13, 2020.

Brooks pleaded guilty to malicious destruction of property on March 13, 2019, and sentenced to sixty days in jail.  Theft charges were pending in Calvert District Court on January 25, 2018, when Brooked entered a guilty plea and was sentenced to fifteen days in jail.  Felony theft conviction on September 19, 2013, resulted in a sentence of five years in prison.

  • THE CHESAPEAKE TODAY Audible Edition Vol 11 No 2 perfect for commuters for keeping up with crime news
  • MURDER USA: True Crime, Real Killers, available in Kindle, paperback & Audible
  • KEVIN J. MCDEVITT can communicate with clients with various technology during Virus Crisis
  • Spring Flowers, Bedding Plants, Succulent Plants
  • OPEN SATURDAY MAY 15th for 2021 with full menu
  • Calvert Sheriff Mike Evans
  • Arrest in Prince Frederick
  • Deputy with automatic weapon
  • Pushing the crowd
  • The General orders the advance
  • Evans last stand
  • Where the little police docudrama of Mike Evans all began in the Prince Frederick Shopping Center.
  • Back to the parking lot where the cars of the people were parked.
  • Back window of police vehicle was broken after Evans started the riot
  • Calvert County, Md., Sheriff Mike Evans created a "riot"
  • Retired Maryland Natural Resources Police Col. Alphonso Hawkins. (in hat)
  • Flash bang when line up and gas was deployed.
  • New on the scene
  • Too far in to stop
  • Maryland State Trooper gets pulled into Sheriff's Evans mess.
  • Black leaders desperately try to get crowd to leave.
  • The leader of the pack, Sheriff Mike Evans
  • Led into battle by Sheriff Evans against the hapless protesters who have yet to anything illegal.
  • Calvert Deputies don gas masks because they know whats coming next.
  • Tactical weapons ready for the placard carrying chanting fellow protesters of Sheriff Evans
  • SWAT Team with shields
  • No more Mr. Nice Guy, Sheriff Evans unloads the riot squad from bus
  • Within twenty minutes of issuing his order to leave, Sheriff Evans moves up the cavalry.
  • Pleading by preacher
  • The protest leader at left is ignored
  • I said you have to leave.
  • Checking for the cavalry, Sheriff Evans turns his back on the crowd.
  • Faced with the crowd turning on him and ignoring him, a protest leader speaks with Sheriff Evans.
  • Sheriff Evans now realizes that his role has changed from being among fellow true believers to being the commander of the waiting police to enforce his order to clear the roadway.
  • Sheriff Evans becomes frustrated that his order to disperse is not followed within 45 seconds to one minute.
  • Calvert Sheriff Evans talks into his police radio as the demonstrators continue to block the roadway for about ten minutes.
  • When protesters decided to lay down in the street, Calvert Sheriff Mike Evans went into action, summoning waiting deputies into action. Screenshots from Baynet video.

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Exit mobile version