DIRTBAG ROUNDUP: PG Teacher Thomas Barber charged with sexual contact with a student at Bladensburg High
BLADENSBURG, MD. – As the school year gets underway, the blossoming affairs between alleged sexual predator teachers and female students anxious to attract the attention of an older man began to become unraveled, often for the same old reasons:
- stupidity and sexual greed on the part of needy teachers who forget that their custodial responsibilities to the naïve and sometimes cunning children to whom they are awarded temporary supervision;
- a more highly sexualized society that removes the focus of education and fosters premature adulthood on children and removes inhibitions on adults to follow the law;
- and that old favorite – the Devil, who is willing to use anyone to achieve his goals.
A teacher at Bladensburg High School in Bladensburg, that already has convictions for DWI and possession of marijuana under his belt, is facing charges in connection with the sexual abuse of a female student at the school. The teacher was identified by police as Thomas Walter Patrick Barber Jr., 29, (DOB 03/27/1990) of 1665 Hawkins Road in Annapolis, Md.
SEX WITH STUDENT SPANNED 30 DAYS WITH SEX TAKING PLACE AT SCHOOL AND ONCE AWAY FROM SCHOOL GROUNDS
On October 10, 2019, the Prince George’s County Police Department reports that the agency was alerted after the student reported that Barber engaged in sexual contact with her – both on and off school grounds since the school year began.
Prince George’s County Police detectives spoke to Barber on Oct. 11, 2019, who admitted to the sexual abuse of this student.
Barber was charged by Prince Georges Police Detective Starr with
- two counts of sexual abuse of a minor;
- two counts of sex offense by a person in authority over a child.
Police say that, so far, this is the only reported case of sexual abuse involving Barber. Any questions about his employment status should be directed to the Prince George’s County School System.
Anyone with information relevant to this investigation is asked to call the Prince George’s County Police Department’s Child and Vulnerable Adult Unit at (301) 772-4930.
ALLEGED DIRTBAG WAS INVOLVED WITH VOLLEYBALL PROGRAM
Barber spent one night in the Prince Georges County Jail before posting bond and being released on Oct. 12, 2019.
THOMAS BARBER HAS BEEN FIRED FROM BLADENSBURG HIGH SCHOOL IMMEDIATELY
- Thomas Walter Patrick Barber Jr. entered a guilty plea to DWI when he was arrested by Howard County Police Officer Jeffrey Specht as he operated a 2009 Chrysler eastbound on Md. Rt. 32 at Broken Land Parkway in Howard County on May 6, 2016. In the plea deal with the Howard County States Attorney, Barber picked up a verdict of Probation Before Judgement. THE DEAL: No jail time and a fine of $92.50 with one year of probation.
- Making him uniquely qualified to be a teacher in Maryland, Thomas Patrick Walter Barber Jr. was arrested for possession of less than ten grams of pot by Maryland State Trooper Henry on March 2, 2014. In a plea deal with the Anne Arundel County States Attorney, Barber entered a guilty plea and was given a verdict of Probation Before Judgement on July 14, 2014. Barber was fined $342.50 and received no jail time.