Note: The photo in this graphic includes the notice on the front door of St. Mary’s Landing posted on Sept. 10, 2019, by the Health Dept. and a photo of owner Billy Hill with slot machine king Frank Moran during the time illegal slot machines were in St. Mary’s Landing prior to being removed by the State of Maryland. THE CHESAPEAKE TODAY photo
St Mary’s Landing was the original, ‘Steve Dulin’s Steak House’, built in 1955. Slot machines were legal in St. Mary’s and Anne Arundel County MD at that time – Steve Dulin’s Steak House was a prominent restaurant in St Mary’s County and was patronized by people from metro Washington DC and Baltimore as well as a favorite of county residents. It was a recognized gathering place and renowned for serving the finest food i.e., steaks, seafood as well as a preferred place for breakfast and lunch. It catered a dinner event for President Dwight D Eisenhower and was a favorite stop for former Governor Marvin Mandel whom often traveled to St. Mary’s County to visit friend/s as well as many of the Navy’s greatest pilots that trained at PAX Naval air station.
Thanks to Steve Dulin for providing the above information.
ST. MARY’S LANDING CLOSED BY HEALTH DEPARTMENT: INFESTED WITH ROACHES AND THREAT TO PUBLIC HEALTH
Have you had an extra crunch to the fried chicken you love so
much at St. Mary’s Landing? How about
the creamed chip beef which may have extra protein? Did the bacon bits or the raisins move around
on the buffet unit and you didn’t have your glasses as you fixed a salad and
couldn’t figure it out?
Chances are, your food has been supplemented with vermin and cockroaches.
(NOW UPDATED WITH ADDITIONAL HEALTH DEPT. SERIOUS HEALTH THREATS ADDED)
CHARLOTTE HALL, MD. – The popular St. Mary’s Landing restaurant in Charlotte Hall has been shuttered on Sept. 10, 2019, by the St. Mary’s County Health Department due to general unsanitary conditions and a major cockroach infestation. In addition, mold and filth are present all through the kitchen and bar area of the restaurant which dates back decades in Charlotte Hall.
Once the Frank Abell Steak House bustling with diners from the Washington area to play slot machines, and then through various owners such as the Charlotte Hall House of Ribs; Billy Hill bought the property after he sold his restaurant located at the intersection of Rt. 5 and Rt. 235 in Mechanicsville, known as the Halfway House to the Wawa corporation.
Hill gained fame the most recent time for his restaurant by loading up illegal slot machines until they were ordered removed.
The operator of the St. Mary’s Landing, according to Health Department records regarding being responsible for failing to keep the restaurant clean and healthy is listed as Mona Hill.
The Health Department records reflect that the inspector responded to the venerable dining spot due to complaints from the public about the creepy crawly roaches making appearances in public spaces.
St. Mary’s Landing, as does other food service facilities in the area, hires convicted killers, drug dealers and armed robbers who are inmates at the nearby Maryland prison pre-release camp at Hughesville as employees.
Health Inspectors: On The Take Or Just Incompetent In Charles County? Georges Ribs Fiasco Makes Folks Wonder.
Perhaps the management is intimidated by such ruffians working in the kitchen and failing to keep the facility clean or perhaps the management plainly does not care or wants to spend the money on a professional exterminator to keep roaches, rats, mice, and other vermin and rodents out of the restaurant.
Cited as examples of the extreme measure of closing are the following deficiencies which must be rectified before the large restaurant can reopen:
- Back of Prep Unit notice roach presence
- Gap between prep unit on wall roach presence, all areas between equipment, top of equipment, under equipment unclean throughout
- Bare hand contact with ready to eat foods
- Hand sink not available, not in service
- Mold at hand sink
- Wheels casters not clean
- Storage closet AT BAR needs to be cleaned
- Signs of self-extermination
- BAIT station above bar Beverage
- Interior of BAR Coolers unclean
- Ventilation screens throughout unclean
- All refrigeration gaskets molding unclean
- The refrigerated walk-in floor need cleaned
- Floor by two-compartment sink needs to be cleaned
- Spray bottles unlabeled
- Greasy cardboard and debris under and behind fryers
- Surfaces and sides of food-preparation units dirty and greasy
- Electrical conduits above cook line greasy and dirty
- Griddle top unit area dirty and needs cleaned
- Seal holes in ceiling and conduits
- Gaskets moldy need cleaned or replaced
- All refrigeration units need cleaned and wiped out
- Debris in buffet unit surfaces
- INSECT PRESENCE IN BUFFET UNIT
- The entire facility needs thorough cleaning to remove all harborage
- MAIN KITCHEN □ once the facility is cleaned entire facility needs to be serviced by professional exterminating service.
- Will be re-inspected by the Health Dept.
- All signs of insect and harborage must be removed and cleaned
- Facility to remain closed until re-inspected and approved for safe food service by health dept
- Floor drain by kitchen hand sink clogged and backed-up